Series: Artificial Intelligence, Leadership and the Future of Further Education
Richard Foster-Fletcher, Executive Chair, MKAI.org
Kurt Hintz, Executive Principal, Capital City College Group
Episode 3: AI and Data Privacy in Further Education: The balance of harnessing artificial intelligence while ensuring student data remains secure.
- Importance of discussing data privacy and AI in the educational context.
Data Privacy and Leadership in Education
- Changes in data privacy that educational leaders should be cognisant of.
- Challenges and benefits of utilising data for educational objectives.
- Issues concerning the use of assessment tools and student data.
Innovative Uses of AI in Education
- Ways in which students are utilising Chat GPT for educational purposes.
- Potential risks of personal information being unintentionally disclosed through AI tools.
Policy and Governance in AI Implementation
- Necessity for public policy documents or white papers focused on AI in education.
- Defining objectives, outcomes, and how students should interact with AI.
- Educating students on the risks associated with platforms and data privacy; addressing awareness gaps among adults.
- Factors such as brand familiarity and network effects in the adoption of technologies in educational settings.
- The role of WhatsApp in education and its implications for data privacy.
- Balancing the effectiveness of data utilisation with the need for data privacy.
- Guidelines for the responsible use of AI in educational settings and safeguarding data integrity.
The conversation around data privacy and AI in education is not just timely but essential. It calls for a thoughtful approach to policy, governance, and education to ensure ethical and effective use of technology.